LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meetings are annual events for Finalist Mathematics Undergraduates who are considering apply for a PhD after they have completed their current studies. The meetings feature speakers from a wide range of mathematical fields across the UK who discuss their current research and what opportunities are available to prospective PhD students. LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meetings are two-day meetings which usually take place in September each year (from 2017 onwards).
For further information, please contact Elizabeth Fisher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2016 LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meeting.
The next LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meeting will be held in December 2016 at York University. Further details of the LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meeting in 2016 will appear later in 2016.
2017 LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meeting: Call for Expressions of Interest to Host has now closed
Funding of up to £7,000 is available to cover fares and accommodation for up to 50 students, travel and accommodation for speakers and subsistence for participants including a social event.
Prospective organisers should send an outline proposal to Marta Mazzocco (Chair of the Prospects in Mathematics Steering Group) (email@example.com) by 1 June 2016.
Expressions of interest should be short (max. one A4 side in length) and include:
• Confirmation of support from the department
• Reasons for wanting to host the LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meeting
• A provisional list of speakers should be included. Speakers should be representative of the UK research landscape both in geographical terms and in scientific terms.
• Speakers from under-represented groups should be included and women speakers should account for at least 40% of the invited speakers.
• Confirmation that prospective organisers have read and understood the terms and conditions in the Guidelines for Organisers
• Willingness to attend an upcoming LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meeting to get an idea of the event. The next event will be held at York in December 2016.
All Expressions of Interest will be considered by the Prospects in Mathematics Steering Group, who will recommend a short-list to the LMS Programme Committee.
Short-listed applicants will then be invited to submit a grant application to the LMS Programme Committee for funding.
A list of previously supported LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meetings, can be found at: www.lms.ac.uk/events/previous-prospects-in-maths-meetings
Before submitting: Organisers are welcome to discuss informally their ideas with the Marta Mazzocco (Chair of the Prospects in Mathematics Steering Group) (firstname.lastname@example.org)
2015 LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meeting.
The most recent LMS Prospects in Mathematics Meeting was held in December 2015 at Loughborough University.
List of speakers
Stephen Coombes (Nottingham)
Martin Huxley (Cardiff)
Natalia Janson (Loughborough)
Daniela Kuhn (Birmingham)
Tanniemola Liverpool (Bristol)
Diane Maclagan (Warwick)
Paul Milewski (Bath)
Konstanze Rietsch (KCL)
Anne Taormina (Durham)
Richard Thomas (Imperial)
Organisation and Support
The event was sponsored by the London Mathematical Society and supported by the Department of Mathematical Sciences, Loughborough University.
The local organisers were Karima Khusnutdinova, Marta Mazzocco, and Artie Prendergast-Smith.
Submitted by Elizabeth Fisher on 3 June, 2016 12:36